Saturday, February 2, 2019

Getting Severe Preeclampsia

So. Here is where it all began. Pregnant with Kaio. It is amazing to recall that at the beginning of this pregnancy I was looking into having a home birth. I had a very successful experience with certified nurse midwives in a birth center with Stella and, since preeclampsia can be a just a first-time pregnancy thing, I was hoping we would have an uncomplicated pregnancy. 😏

WRONG-O.

At around 18 weeks, I drove about 8 hours to go to an educational seminar for work. On that trip, I saw stars for the first time. It FREAKED. ME. OUT. When I had visual disturbances with pre-e before, it was just like these stars. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, I wasn't dizzy or light-headed. They came and went. Poof. And I was too scared to tell anyone about it. 18 weeks? It's a fluke. You can't even get preeclampsia that early (*very rarely you can, but preeclampsia is a 20week+ complication*).

Fast forward a few weeks, it happens again at work. Officially freaked, I called my husband crying.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have this baby at 25 weeks."

 I so distinctly remember saying those words. I said them. And then was hit with a huge wave of .....reality? ...confirmation? ...foreboding?  Comfort was definitely not the feeling.

We bought a home use blood pressure cuff so we could feel more in control. I felt nervous about a few readings before a business trip and visited my doctor's office. Only seen by a nurse, I had my blood pressure taken (I believe inaccurately), and they told me to come back after my trip.

I FELT HORRIBLE ON MY TRIP. Some of the days were classes. I was too late getting in a course, and luckily was able to stay in my hotel and do a course and rest while the others did theirs. My readings were normal. One of the days was a lot of walking (to talks, classes, expo floors) and my co-workers demanded I call my doctor because I didn't look okay. ...I didn't feel okay. All the while, my home cuff told me things were A-OK! 🙈

MONDAY: (23 weeks) First thing, my mom and I went to the doctor's. It was the 3rd of July and the waiting room was packed. We were not leaving until I could be seen. My blood pressure was through the roof. My urine dip stick was just as bad. My doctor came in and told me the survival rates for 24 weekers and sent me to the hospital. Aaaaand that was that. Severe preeclampsia.

I went to the hospital to get shot up with a bunch of drugs (medicine for blood pressure, seizures, and some steroids to develop baby's lungs) and wait.

"Just stay pregnant as long as you can."

Cool. Cuz I that's something I totally have control over. 😐


Back

No comments:

Post a Comment